The Queensland Labor Government delivered a key election promise last week by passing new industrial relations reforms.
The new laws return the rights of public service workers that were stripped away by Campbell Newman’s LNP Government. They restore important safeguards for state and local government employees including:
- Reinstating employment security for public servants
- Protections against the contracting out of government services
- Restoring immediate right of entry provisions for WHS permit holders where there are suspected safety concerns
- Restoring the independence of the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission
- Re-establishing the Electrical Safety Commission and
- Returning Labour Day to May from 2016