4 November, 2019 –
Last Thursday, 31 October, we hit the “on” switch for the most significant development in the Queensland electricity landscape for more than 20 years with CleanCo.
I’m honoured to have been a part of this major milestone.
It is our third publicly owned energy generation company, and is dedicated to renewable energy generation.
CleanCo’s foundation assets include the Wivenhoe pumped storage hydro power station, Swanbank E gas power station, and three Far North Queensland hydro stations, including Barron Gorge, Kareeya, and Koombooloomba – 1,120MW of renewables.
This is a huge milestone on our journey to 50% renewable energy by 2030 and will also help lower household electricity bills by around $70.
CleanCo Fast Facts
- CleanCo delivers on a commitment the Palaszczuk Government took to the 2017 election;
- CleanCo has a mandate to build, own and operate publicly owned renewable energy and an initial injection of $250 million to get them started;
- This is a key part of the Palaszczuk Government’s energy policy which provides affordable, reliable energy for Queensland;
- Large-scale renewable energy is an industry that did not exist in Queensland when the Palaszczuk Government was first elected;
- We are well on track to meet our target of 50% renewable generation by 2030;
- Under the Newman Government 2,330 renewable energy jobs were lost;
- Under our government, more than 1,800 additional jobs have been created in renewable energy so far;
- The establishment of CleanCo means we can continue to create secure jobs in renewable energy generation.