Dr Anthony Lynham

STATE MEMBER FOR STAFFORD

Button battery safety

button battery safety

30 December, 2019 –

A reminder for parents to be careful of button batteries that may be in gifts received over Christmas.

They’re usually found in portable devices around the home including:

  • children’s toys
  • flashing novelties (e.g. flameless candles)
  • remote controls
  • thermometers
  • car keys
  • watches
  • calculators
  • scales
  • musical greeting cards
  • glucometers
  • hearing aids
  • reading lights

Make sure the battery lid is secured tightly with a screw and keep all batteries out of reach of little hands.

Button batteries can look like lollies or coins to kids and may be lethal if swallowed.

It can take as little as two hours to cause severe burns once a button battery has been ingested and remains lodged in the body, so you need to act quickly.

If you think your child might have swallowed or inserted a button battery, contact the Poisons Information Centre immediately on 13 11 26 for fast expert advice, 24/7.

If you think a young child is choking, call Triple Zero (000) for an ambulance, and stay on the phone with the operator while following the first aid steps.

For more information go to https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-events/news/button-batteries-danger-young-kids-emergency