21 November, 2018 –
The next wave of Queensland’s renewable revolution is underway, with grants now available for households and small businesses to install batteries to store their solar power.
The grants and loans scheme will help up to 1,500 Queensland households and small businesses cut their power bills by storing solar power and using it after sunset.
Almost half a million households in Queensland are generating power from rooftop solar. This places us in a great position for the next wave of our renewable journey: storing this solar power through home battery systems.
Queensland householders can jump online and apply for interest-free loans of up to $10,000 and grants of $3,000 to purchase batteries or combined solar-battery systems.
A high energy-using household that contributes $2,000 to $3,000 towards the upfront cost of their solar and battery system may save $400 a year, even after taking into account their interest-free loan repayments.
Queensland’s small businesses can also apply for up to a $3,000 grant.
With our policies, interest-free loans and grants incentives we are looking to add another 1,500 to the 2,500 battery storage systems in place around the state.
Just as we have one of the highest penetrations of rooftop solar in the world, we are aspiring to be a world leader in battery storage.
The scheme offers:
- grants of $3,000 and interest-free loans of up to $10,000 for up to 1,000 combined solar and battery systems.
- grants of $3,000 and interest-free loans of up to $6,000 for 500 batteries.
This is on top of the scheme that started in June offering interest-free loans of up to $4,500 for solar systems.
The roll out of these solar and battery packages is backed up with a strong safety focus. Applicants for loans and grants select from a panel of approved suppliers who meet stringent safety standards.
- Get a quote from an eligible battery supplier for an eligible battery system. You can find a list of eligible suppliers and batteries online at www.qld.gov.au/batteryloans
- Apply online at www.qld.gov.au/batteryloans
- Get approved
- Tell your supplier you’re approved and get your system installed. (You cannot get it installed before approval or you’re not eligible.)
- Get back online to have your approved dollar amount paid to your supplier.
- You have six months from approval to get your system installed. We understand there is minimal wait time for most systems except for Tesla batteries, which can be longer.