15 June 2016 –
Alderley and Newmarket railway stations will benefit from a major funding allocation in this year’s State Budget.
A huge $17 million has been committed to complete station accessibility upgrades at our two local stations. The upgrades will increase commuter safety and efficiency at these two busy stations.
This additional funding follows a number of upgrades that are already underway including, improved lighting, CCTV coverage, better car parking, and lift access. All up, the total cost of the works, including this week’s $17 million announcement, comes to around $31.7 million. This is a really significant commitment to Stafford from the Palaszczuk Labor Government.
Some other local highlights from the 2016 budget include:
- $500,000 for Brisbane Inner North Sporting Community to commence the construction of a multipurpose clubhouse and develop a junior Australian football at Stafford.
- $2.776 million to make sure children in need of protection have a safe place to stay. This includes funding for foster and kinship care, and intensive foster care services provided by UnitingCare Community in Chermside.
- $169,000 for The Community Place in Keong Park, Stafford.
Upgrades for local schools including:
- $200,000 to refurbish classrooms in A Block at Somerset Hills State School,
- $150,000 to refurbish the Resource Centre at Somerset Hills State School,
- $70,000 for Stafford Heights State School’s special education program to upgrade and refurbish D Block,
- $200,000 to rationalise the Administration Block at Somerset Hills State School.
Support for community-based services including:
- $502,000 to support the needs of children in out-of-home care,
- $502,000 for services to support families safely care for their children,
- $169,000 to deliver support to vulnerable individuals and assist them to get their lives back on track in Stafford, including funding for counselling.
$2.37 million to help people under 65 with a disability stay in their own homes. This includes funds for local organisations such as:
- Alzheimer’s Association of Queensland Gordon Park
- Blue Care Chermside
- Chermside Meals on Wheels, Kedron
- Community Access Respite Services Inc (CARS) Chermside West
- Stafford and District Meals on Wheels, Stafford
- UnitingCare, Chermside West
- Centacare Wilston