Dr Anthony Lynham

STATE MEMBER FOR STAFFORD

Winter warmer warning: no outdoor gas heaters indoors

30 May 2016 –

I visited Jeremy at the Three Little Pigs Tavern, Stafford City on Friday to remind people to be safety conscious when using outdoor heaters now that winter has finally arrived.

Outdoor heaters are perfectly safe as long as both the heater and the gas cylinder are well maintained and used properly.

These heaters should only be operated outdoors and in well-ventilated areas; they should also be kept well away from any combustible material. If used incorrectly these heaters can produce toxic carbon monoxide gas and expose people to possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas formed when fuels that contain carbon are burned in a poorly ventilated space – and it is a silent killer.

Improper use and storage can also result in contact burns, fire or explosion causing serious injury. Tragically two young boys died in Victoria in 2010 due to a faulty gas heater casing a build-up on carbon monoxide. There have been five incidents involving outdoor gas heaters reported in Queensland since 2009.

For more information visit www.qld.gov.au/emergency/safety/gas/gas-safety-videos