2 September 2015 –
Please find below an update from Queensland Parliament on the activities of the Parliament’s various committees.
Queensland’s parliamentary committees play a vital role – they scrutinise the budgets of each government department each year during Estimate hearings. The committees also examine bills (proposed new laws) and other issues of importance to the community.
Below is a list of the current committees and some of the inquiries they are currently working on:
Agriculture and Environment Committee
• Agriculture and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2015
• Sugar Industry (Real Choice in Marketing) Amendment Bill 2015
• Review of the Drought Relief Assistance Scheme
• Inquiry to consider the Auditor-General’s Report to Parliament No. 20: 2014-15 Results of audit: Managing water quality in Great Barrier Reef catchments
Communities, Disability Services and Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Committee
• Guide, Hearing and Assistance Dogs Amendment Bill 2015
Finance and Administration Committee
• Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2015
• Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation (Protecting Firefighters) Amendment Bill 2015
• Work Health and Safety and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2015
• Inquiry into the legislative arrangements assuring the Queensland Auditor-General’s independence
• Inquiry into the Report of the Strategic Review of Functions of the Integrity Commissioner
Health and Ambulance Services Committee
• Mental Health (Recovery Model) Bill 2015
• Public Health (Childcare Vaccination) and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2015
• Health Legislation (Waiting List Integrity) Amendment Bill 2015
• Tobacco and other Smoking Products (Extension of Smoking Bans) Amendment Bill 2015
Infrastructure, Planning and Natural Resources Committee
• Planning and Development (Planning for Prosperity – Consequential Amendments) and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2015
• Planning and Development (Planning Court) Bill 2015
• Planning and Development (Planning for Prosperity) Bill 2015
• Fly in, fly out and other long distance commuting work practices in regional Queensland
Legal Affairs and Community Safety Committee
• Liquor and Fair Trading Legislation (Red Tape Reduction) Amendment Bill 2015
• Electoral (Redistribution Commission) and Another Act Amendment Bill 2015
• ‘Lemon’ Laws – An inquiry into consumer protections and remedies for buyers of new motor vehicles
Anyone with an interest in any of these bills or issues can follow the progress of the respective committee inquiries and get involved. Please check the Parliament’s website to see the status of each inquiry, including dates for public submissions to be received and upcoming hearing and reporting details.
Individuals, groups and organisations are encouraged to make submissions and have their opinions heard. The Parliament’s website address is www.parliament.qld.gov.au Select the ‘Work of Committees’ tab to find all information relevant to committees and their current and past inquiries.
During the first five months of this parliament following the 2015 state election, committees have held over 90 public hearings and briefings as part of their inquiries. These hearings and briefings are generally held at Parliament House in Brisbane but also occur in regional areas across Queensland. Many of these hearings and briefings are broadcast live on the Parliament’s website and are then available to be watched on replay afterwards.