17 June 2016 –
Fares will be slashed from next year making it more affordable for Stafford locals to travel on public transport.
Local public transport users will save money under the Palaszczuk Labor Government’s new Fairer Fares Package with cheaper fares and a reduced number of zones. These changes will deliver real cost of living relief to public transport users in our community.
At the moment the electorate of Stafford is split between three zones. The Southern half of the electorate is Zone 2, the Northern half is Zone 3, and a small part of the Northern tip is Zone 4. Once these changes take effect Stafford locals will be either Zone 1 or Zone 2.
Northside commuters traveling from Lutwyche station to the CBD could save $315.36 a year. While someone travelling from Kedron to Chermside Shopping Centre could save $64.80 a year.
Key changes to the South East Queensland fare structure include:
- Fewer zones: the current 23 zones will be reduced to eight
- Cheaper fares: fares for all zones will reduce, for example a single, adult, zone one fare will reduce from $3.35 to $3.20
- Off-peak for longer: morning off-peak has been extended through to 6am to encourage earlier travel for cheaper fares. The 20 per cent off-peak discount remains for travel between 7pm and 6am, between 8.30am and 3.30pm Monday to Friday and all day on weekends
- Children travel free at weekends: more affordable weekend travel for families with children aged between five and 14 (inclusive) travelling free at the weekend on a child go card
- Incentives: seniors and pensioners will retain the ‘One, Two FREE’ travel while the ‘Nine + FREE’ travel incentive will change to 8 paid journeys and 50 per cent off subsequent journeys per week
- Concessions for Qld job seekers: the unemployed on Newstart and Youth Allowance and asylum seekers across Queensland will be able to access concession fares from early 2017, pending federal agency discussions.
These changes will make public transport fares fairer and will encourage more people to use or public transport system.
For more information visit TransLink http://www.translink.com.auor call 13 12 30.