Dr Anthony Lynham

STATE MEMBER FOR STAFFORD

Fire safety this Christmas

12 December 2016 –

Queensland Fire and Rescue is urging all Queenslanders to be wary of the dangers of faulty electrical decorations and candles.

Before and after – this simulated lounge room was destroyed in 1min 23 seconds

Fairy lights and candles can be a major hazard and source of fuel in a fire if not handled correctly. Lights can easily be damaged in storage, lights for indoor use can become dangerous if exposed to the weather and outdoor lights can overhead if used indoors.

Queensland Fire and Rescue’s safety tips for Christmas:

  • Check lights and electric decorations for damage.
  • Use lights and electric decorations correctly (make sure you use interior lights indoors and exterior lights outside).
  • Avoid overloading power boards.
  • If you are leaving your house for periods of time turn off any lights or decorations.
  • Keep candles clear of combustible materials (especially flammable decorations like tinsel).
  • Never leave children or pets unattended with candles
  • Explain fire safety to children.